Sr. Software Development Engineer - Sr. Full Stack Developer (Multiple Locations)
Locations: Toronto, Austin, St. Louis
Do you want to be part of an innovator that is changing the ecommerce landscape and reinventing the way global merchants and issuers combat fraud through collaboration? If you’re excited by shattering expectations and making a contribution that will turn stale thinking into breakthrough ideas, Ethoca is the place for you. We welcome the challengers and thought leaders. We want the agile, creative risk-takers who can address challenges with an open mind, the freedom to innovate and the strength to dominate. Ethoca’s growth is explosive, and only great problem-solvers, collaborators and thinkers can help us take it to the next level. If that sounds like you, keep reading.
Before Ethoca’s flagship service – Ethoca Alerts – every day merchants and issuers would identify thousands of confirmed or suspected fraudulent transactions in isolation. They had no way of bridging this costly – and completely avoidable – divide. When Ethoca introduced Ethoca Alerts in 2011, it revolutionized the industry’s approach to fighting ecommerce fraud. Ethoca Alerts closes the information gap between card issuers and merchants, giving merchants unprecedented direct access to issuers’ cardholder-confirmed fraud intelligence. As part of Ethoca’s collaboration-based network, for the first time merchant businesses have a window of opportunity to act on fraud that has already been confirmed by Ethoca’s global network of card issuers. Beyond Ethoca Alerts, the company is moving quickly to bring a new generation of services to market focused on card acceptance, including Order Rescue.
Ethoca was founded in 2005, with headquarters in Toronto, and offices in Austin, London and Paris. Seven of the top ten ecommerce brands, seven of the top nine U.S. card issuers, two of the top five UK card issuers and more than 3,500 ecommerce businesses around the world rely on Ethoca solutions and the network that powers them. To find out more, please visit us online at www.ethoca.com.
To drive our future growth, we need to dramatically scale our existing platform. Ethoca’s growth is explosive, and only great problem-solvers, collaborators, and thinkers can help us take it to the next level. We want to hire leaders that are eager to have influence on scaling processes, people, and technology.
We believe in decoupled, message-driven, and distributed systems. We strive to keep codebases small and manageable. We are interested in reactive design patterns that will make our systems more resilient and responsive yet remain elastic to change. As we proceed through our technology roadmap, we are evaluating new community endorsed technologies for every tier of our platform. Our backend tiers are presently JVM-based. We are using or considering technologies like Kafka, Spring Boot, Angular, Bootstrap, REST, Chef, Terraform, Openstack, Azure, Elasticsearch, NoSQL, Docker and so on.
- Work as a member of an agile team to design, build, test, and deploy new products and features
- Push for better Development Practices, better Code, better Solutions
- Not afraid to speak your mind about software design and handle constructive feedback on ideas
- Thrive in a highly collaborative company environment where agility is paramount
- Produce high quality code while employing community accepted testing principles, best practices, and tooling
- Provide technical guidance, support and mentoring to more junior team members
- Make significant contributions to architectural decisions
- Make technology recommendations that balance business needs and technical requirements
- Proactively understand stakeholder needs, goals, expectations and viewpoints to deliver results
- Effectively host technology education forums (i.e. Technology Brown Bag Session) around relevant topics for the wider organization
What you bring:
- Deep understanding and significant experience of Java, JVM, and Spring ecosystem
- Experience of Cloud Native Development targeting a major Cloud Provider
- Experience working with Linux Virtual Machines in a Cloud Environment
- Experience building and managing REST APIs
- Experience crafting single page applications (SPA’s) as well as distributed systems using Java, Spring, Angular, and Bootstrap
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration & Delivery principles with an eye for automation and IaC
- Experience building distributed data platforms with high availability concerns and are easily horizontally scaled
- Not afraid to speak your mind about software design and on the flip side handle any criticism of your ideas with grace
- Stay up-to-date with new web technologies on the front-end and server-side through self-study, blogs, meetups, conferences, etc.
- Always have quality in mind and you employ community accepted testing principles, best practices, and tooling
Please forward your resume and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Software Development Engineer” in the subject line. We will only be contacting those individuals who we believe are the best potential fit with our requirements.
At Ethoca, we welcome job applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, family care status, veteran status, marital status, or any other lawfully protected status in every jurisdiction in which we operate. We are committed to a diverse workforce that provides fair and equal opportunity for all employees and candidates.