Careers with Ethoca
Enterprise Data ArchitectToronto, ON
Analyst - Issuer ServicesToronto, ON
Global Director, Issuer Channel DevelopmentUS or Canada
Business Analyst / Technical Product ManagerToronto, ON
Senior Quality Assurance AnalystToronto, ON
Java Team LeadToronto, ON
DevOps EngineerToronto, ON
Windows Systems AdministratorToronto, ON
Application Security Specialist - TorontoToronto
Bilingual Customer Service Representative - Corporate ClientsToronto, ON
Enterprise Data Architect
Posted: September 12, 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Do you want to be part of an innovator that is changing the ecommerce landscape and reinventing the way global merchants and issuers combat fraud through collaboration? If you’re excited by shattering expectations and making a contribution that will turn stale thinking into breakthrough ideas, Ethoca is the place for you. We welcome the challengers and thought leaders. We want the agile, creative risk-takers who can address challenges with an open mind, the freedom to innovate and the strength to dominate. Ethoca’s growth is explosive, and only great problem-solvers, collaborators and thinkers can help us take it to the next level. If that sounds like you, keep reading.
Before Ethoca, every day merchants and issuers would identify thousands of confirmed or suspected fraudulent transactions in isolation. They had no way of bridging this costly – and completely avoidable – divide. When Ethoca introduced Ethoca Alerts in 2010, it revolutionized the industry’s approach to fighting ecommerce fraud. Ethoca Alerts closes the information gap between card issuers and merchants, giving merchants unprecedented direct access to issuers’ cardholder-confirmed fraud intelligence. As part of Ethoca’s collaboration-based network, for the first time merchant businesses have a window of opportunity to act on fraud that has already been confirmed by Ethoca’s global network of card issuers.
Ethoca was founded in 2005, with headquarters in Toronto, and offices in Austin, London, Dublin and Frankfurt.
The Enterprise Data Architect is responsible for ensuring that the information assets of the organization are supported by a data architecture that aids it in achieving its strategic goals.
The ideal candidate recognizes the critical role well-designed data architecture plays in a software organization and the significant risk that may result from an architecture that is incomplete, incorrectly designed, implemented or used.
This individual will contribute to the development of policies, processes and standards for data storage, management and governance within the enterprise, to meet both corporate and departmental objectives.
He or she will liaise with Product Development, Data Analytics and Business Intelligence teams, business stakeholders, subject matter experts and external vendors to lead initiatives related to all aspects of database design, implementation and optimization, information retrieval, transformation and integration within Ethoca.
He or she will develop and maintain documentation encompassing enterprise data structures, objects and metadata definitions, enterprise and application data models, data flow diagrams and system integrations.
Leadership, initiative and excellent communication skills are an absolute must.
If you are a dynamic contributor, passionate about database technologies and committed to making a difference in an organization comprised of highly technical and creative team members, you just may be the ideal candidate for this role.
The Enterprise Data Architect plays a role in many key aspects to Ethoca’s overall technology direction. He or she:
• Contributes and collaborates toward the definition of Ethoca’s vision, strategy, principles and procedures for enterprise data management
• Plays a key role in defining standards for naming, describing, governing, managing, modelling, cleansing, enriching, transforming, moving, storing, searching and delivering data within the enterprise
• Understands the current, planned and potential uses of data within the enterprise as well as the operational implications of data to the organization’s processes, products and technology
• Designs, maintains and builds conceptual, logical and physical database models
• Designs and implements database solutions, using available database development tools, with the aim of meeting business and technical requirements
• Oversees, advises and participates in the design and development of data processing workflows through collaboration with application development teams
• Automates the retrieval, integration and migration, conversion or transformation of enterprise data across application and system tiers
• Meets with business analysts, key stakeholders and technology team members to gather, analyze and document data architecture design and requirements
• Evangelizes data architecture roadmap initiatives in order to gain consensus, cooperation and understanding across business and technical teams
• Participates in the evaluation and selection of open source and commercially available data storage, transformation and reporting tools
• Supports organizational data compliance efforts within operational and implementation teams and across application and system tiers through the development of documentation, data schema specifications, policy and practice guides
Required Skills and Experience:
• Extensive experience with the design and implementation of Data Warehouse and Operational Data Stores (ODS) in a Product Development environment
• Experience with the design and implementation of enterprise-grade Operational Databases (OLTP)
• Ability to analyze legacy database schema implementations in order to assess impact of various migration and/or maintenance options
• Ability to analyze legacy code in SQL procedures and/or shell scripts to understand requirements for data flow and transformation
• Proficient shell scripting experience in a Unix / Linux environment, including job scheduling, basic troubleshooting, etc.
• Able to explain design decisions effectively to gain broad consensus within technology teams
• Able to manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks
• Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills
• Deep understanding of Reference, Master, Transactional and Decision Support data policies and practices
• Familiarity with concepts relating to metadata management, business semantics and Master Data Management (MDM) policies and processes
• Experience in Business Process Modelling (BPM) is a definite asset
• 7+ years’ data modeling experience with ERwin, PowerDesigner or equivalent
• 7+ years’ experience with an Enterprise RDBM system, including Oracle, DB2, MSSQL or Sybase
• 5+ years’ experience with SSIS, Informatica or a similar Enterprise ETL tool
• 5+ years’ PL/SQL, T-SQL, SSIS or similar database programming experience
What Sets You Apart:
• Unified Modelling Language (UML) experience
• Firm grasp of Object Oriented Design Principals realized in one or more software development languages (Java, C#, C++)
• Familiarity with one or more transport layer schema definition languages (XML, XSD, WSDL, FIX, etc.)
• Python, Perl and/or Bash scripting experience is a plus
• Experience with scripted batch import using SQL*Plus, MS SQL bcp utility or similar
• Experience in ecommerce or a PCI DSS industry a definite plus.
Please forward your resume and a covering letter to email@example.com with “Enterprise Data Architect” in the subject line. We will only be contacting those individuals who we believe are the best potential fit with our requirements. You will also want to visit www.ethoca.com.